PSA! Please Wash Your Brushes
The coronavirus pandemic is affecting people across the globe. To help prevent spreading the virus further, washing your hands and cleaning your tools has become a major priority.
But while many people wipe down their phones and furniture, you might want to consider devoting the same attention to cleaning your beauty products. Here's why:
Covid-19 can live on surfaces including your beauty products for days
According to a report from the National Institute of Health (NIH), the virus can live for up to four hours on copper, up to a day on cardboard, and up to three days on plastic and stainless steel. These lengths are also affected by temperature and humidity. Because some makeup tools, palettes, compacts, and even brush handles can be made from those materials, it's safe to assume they could become infected if used by an ill individual.
We at MarloHaus will be taking every precaution possible and going above and beyond to be safe for ourselves and our clients.
At this stage, its less clear if the virus can live on actual makeup itself. One recommendation we found is to throw away any makeup that has come into contact with virus as a precaution. At a minimum, its recommended to spray all pressed powder products with rubbing alcohol, and discard any personal liquid products such as gloss and mascaras.
* Toni Tip: For hard to clean brushes that have cream or gel in them use dish soap and then follow with sanitizing anti-bacterial soap. Dish Soap can dry out natural hair brushes so best to use on synthetic and only when needed. Many foundation brushes are made with synthetic fibers.
Our recommended steps:
1) Lay a clean towel next to the sink
2) Get your brushes wet first and then dip each brush into cleaning solution. Swirl the brush under clean running warm water until brush is clean. We recommend using a makeup remover solution first followed by an ancleaning solution
* Toni Tip: Be mindful of the shape of your brush. cleaning against the natural shape or smashing your brush can misshapen it over time
3) Squeeze all the water out of the brush shaping it in it natural shape laying flat on the towel to dry overnight.
* Toni Tip: Don't place wet brushes in a cup upright and don’t soak upside down in a cup. The water will get into the base of the hair loosening the glue overtime.
Remember, your brushes will only remain clean if you have clean hands too, so keep up on the handwashing, especially before sitting down to start makeup.
Congratulations! You now have clean brushes!
Below you will find some of my favorite brush cleaning products
11/21/2018 10:44:27 pm
Thank you so much for this article. Actually, this article is so attractive for us. Makeup brushes is most important tools for using the proper makeup. I think this article is better than another article.
Leave a Reply.
Toni Marlo and her team are 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 recipients of the Wedding Wire Couples Awards and have worked designing makeup and hair for Emmy and Oscar award winning professionals for over a decade.